Friday, May 6, 2011

Lola's closet

I have been the very lucky recipient of many hand me downs for my kids, which is fabulous.  Children go through so much clothes due to changing seasons and growth spurts.  The baby stage is especially bad as they seem to outgrow an outfit after wearing it just once or twice.  It's easy to get carried away and spend a small fortune on children's clothing.  Everything is so cute, so small, so colourful. 

Since we already have so much, I have been making a conscious effort to not buy my children any clothes unless it's an item they really need.  Since Christmas, I've only bought two Toy Story t-shirts and a light spring coat for Charlie. Grand total spent?  7 dollars.  I'm really trying to reduce the amount of "stuff" we have and help the planet, and my pocketbook, by reusing as much as possible. 

I have been inspired by Lindsay at The Cottage Home to go through my children's clothes to see what they have for spring and summer in order to fix and re-purpose what I can.  Here are my first few items.

Let's start with my baby girl's clothes.  One item I pulled out of a box of hand-me-downs for Lola is this pair of jersey knit shorts. Can you see that little hole on the back of the shorts?  No? It's there, you'll have to take my word for it.


I simply cut out a small heart shape from an old t-shirt that was beyond repair and stitched it on. Done.

Next, I had this long sleeve t-shirt.  The once white sleeves were horribly stained from the elbow down.  Solution?  Make it a short sleeve shirt.


Now Lola can wear in all summer long. 

Now for a real challenge.



I had nothing to loose with this one.  It's still a work in progress but here's what I have so far.



Still two little stains. Suggestions?
More girl's clothes to come soon.
Speaking of summer, the weatherman is finally announcing nice weather.  It's been raining and cold here for days. Some areas of Manitoba had snowstorms earlier this week. Some sunlight would be nice! It would at least make for better pictures.  : )

Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments.